What is our safeguarding structure?procedure
Everyone within Girlguiding must fully understand and implement the safeguarding policies and procedures relevant to their role and, where these are also provided, guidelines must be followed. To enable this to happen we have a comprehensive safe space training programme and a safeguarding policies and procedures that ensures we are pro-actively safeguarding right across the organisation. More information on this can be found at the Girlguiding website here as well as contact details if you have a safeguarding concern.
- Unit leaders – Unit leaders provide a safe space for the girls and volunteers in their unit. Their role is also to be alert, question behaviours, seek advice and support and report any allegations, concerns, or disclosures.
- Volunteers -Safeguarding is the responsibility of all volunteers. All volunteers must complete and maintain the correct level of safeguarding training for their role. Units mustn’t meet unless at least one volunteer at the meeting with the role of leader holds a safe space level 3.
It’s important that all of our volunteers understand our code of conduct, and the processes we use to ensure the security of our membership.
Girlguiding volunteer code of conduct
Girlguiding’s volunteer code of conduct is their expectation of how individuals work with others in Girlguiding (including volunteers, staff and girls) and members of the public (including parents and partner organisations). By following it volunteers will be able to check that they are always doing the right thing and behaving in the right way. This Code supports all volunteers by making their responsibilities very clear. As a Girlguiding volunteer we must always:
- be a good role model with behaviour and an attitude that are in line with our values and the promise.
- comply with all applicable UK laws and guidance.
- make sure we follow Girlguiding policies and procedures and re-read them regularly so we are informed of updates.
- deliver the Girlguiding programme to young members if we are a unit volunteer. When volunteering with adults in guiding, support them to meet the Girlguiding programme requirements, to play our part in giving a consistently great Girlguiding experience.
- be responsible and accountable in the way we perform our role.
- be fair and treat everyone with respect and dignity in accordance with the Girlguiding Equality and Diversity policy.
- respect privacy in line with policies and guidance.
- communicate in an open and respectful way, whether in person, by phone, writing or digital media.
- work together with Girlguiding members, their parents/carers and members of the public to promote Girlguiding’s mission and values.
As a Girlguiding volunteer we must not act fraudulently or dishonestly, or do anything which brings, or is likely to bring, Girlguiding into disrepute or have a negative impact on Girlguiding or its reputation.